‘Layar‘ first came up with the idea of an augmented reality web browser back in 2009 which turns the camera’s in mobile phones into a conceptualised information portal and local business search. This concept of utilizing mobile devices beyond it’s standard capabilities have been derived with the innovative development of web technologies. Software on mobile devices have extended the power of mobile devices and allowed them to create/share data across devices, servers and networks. Similarly, Layar recognized the demand for innovative uses of augmented reality based applications by enhancing location awareness services. The Layar application and the technology aims to integrate digital data with live visual data feed, for the convenience of daily activities. Such as:
- Finding information on ATM’s, public transport while navigating through the streets
- Search for contact details or reviews of businesses with google local search
- See Location based status updates made through a variety of social networks
- Information about building architecture
- Integration with real estate searches
The Layar technology utilizes a variety of mobile technologies including the camera, GPS, accelerometers, and a mobile internet connection. Layar has leveraged the practicability of smart phone peripherals and devices to harness collective intelligence. The camera captures the surrounding environment and display it on the screen with digital information retrieved over the internet. This information is based on the location awareness capabilities and other shared data across devices. While the GPS determines the location, the accelerometer and the compass would determine the view of the field or the reality. A combination of all these technologies would provide the user with an augmented view of the reality with rich information and data.
Currently layar uses the power of networks and the web to:
- Support for 3D models
- Support for animated POI’s
- Interactive sharing to facebook and twitter
- Layer actions: call, email, share, web access
- Support of Audio/video
- Payment platform (PayPal)
Layar incorporates sophisticated level of interactivity with audio, visuals, animation and 3D models to create “layers” in a users field of vision through their mobile device. Currently Layar is compatible with iPhone, Android, Bada and Symbian. Layar is just not an app, but an open source platform aims to provide variety of possibilities and opportunities in the future.
- Fraser, A. (2011). Augment your reality with Layar.
- Layar Support. (2010). How does Augmented Reality work
- Powerhouse Musuem. Layar: Augmented Reality browsing of Powerhouse Museum around Sydney
- Wauter, R. (2009). Layar’s Augmented Reality Browser: Literally More Than Meets The Eye